Thursday, June 12, 2014

Essay 1-03a: My Language Learning Story and Plans


When I was born in Japan, it's no wonder that I couldn't speak, read and write anything. I was only crying. Several years later, I could learn some easy words like "mom". Then I learned how to count numbers. My nursery school teachers taught us how to write Hiragana, basic characters of Japanese. After I entered elementary school, I completely acquired Hiragana and started to study simple Kanji, one of the ideograms from China. I also started to go to one of the famous cram schools, one mainly for elementary school students, and I took math and English there. I started to study basic English when I was 7. However, I temporarily stopped studying it because of moving.

10 years ago, I could speak spoken Japanese fluently, of course, but I felt like studying English because my mother used to sing and listen to foreign songs often and I was happy to take the cram school's English lessons. That's why my mother and my grandmother cooperated for me and I started to go to an English conversation school when I was 10. Then, I could speak elementary English such as "How are you?" or "Do you like dogs?" On the other hand, by graduating elementary school, I acquired most Kanji that we use on a daily basis.

As soon as I started to go to junior high school, English education had started there and I learned from Alphabet again. It was so easy for me and I was going a step beyond the school level. Though I didn't know a lot of vocabulary, I could greet someone and introduce myself. I took part in the English recitation contests for the third year in a row and I took a second place in Kumamoto Prefecture. Though I acquired an ability to pronounce English almost accurately, I couldn't speak it fluently. In addition, I took Eiken, an English proficiency test for Japanese and I passed the pre-level 2 5 years ago.

My favorite subject was English, so I decided to go a high school which students can intensively learn it. I passed the entrance exam and started to go to a highly competitive academic senior high school in Kumamoto City. I could study English so hard there because there were multiple subjects related to English. There were a lot of hard tasks, for example, English debates, speeches, and reading materials. Although they sometimes made me boring, now I think that they all did me good. This time, I participated in English speech contests and won third place when I was 16. At the same time, I tried to write an English essay for getting a scholarship to go to Canada and I won it! Then I went to a small island in Canada to study English for almost free for a month. There I learned daily English through I talked to many foreigners including immigrants. I also took Eiken and passed the level 2, but I failed the pre-level 1. Though I've been in the English conversation school since I was 10, I quit it to prepare for entrance exams for universities.

Now I've come to the university to study languages since last year. I took French classes, but it was a little difficult for me. I have a variety of assignments and get an opportunity to utilize English like this blog, so I can speak simple English pretty fluently and also write and listen to it. However, I have a lot of challenges, for instance, TOEIC. I can't speak, write, read and listen to English contents of specific fields even now, so I'm taking a TOEIC class and study business English about three times a week.


I'd like to be a tour conductor after I graduate from this university, so I should study English related to Japan and many foreign countries harder. From this year, to take a national test that manages travel agency, I bought the textbook and started to study it for an hour everyday. Then my dream will come true and I can explain anything of travels briefly in English.

[682 words]

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ruka,

    Would you please do us all a favor, and avoid mentioning any schools by name in your posts. For the school you mentioned in this essay, I'd like you to use a general description such as, "a high-ranking academic high school in Kumamoto City" or "a highly competitive academic senior high in Kumamoto City," instead of the school's name.

    I'd also like to know what you're planning to do to overcome the content-specific challenges that you've encountered in TOEIC exams, practice or real, and whether you have a target score that you're aiming for.

    Cheers, PB

    ReplyDelete