Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Essay 1-01a: Letter to My Host Family

Dear host family,
Hi there! I'm going to take part in the homestay program in Toronto and spend this summer with you, so I'm looking forward to seeing you. I receive your profile from a Kumamoto Study Abroad Company.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Ruka. I'm a 1st-year student at KGU and majoring in English. I'm 19 years old and I'm from Kumamoto, Japan. I can speak Japanese and simple English but I started to learn basic French when I came to university. I like to play basketball, play the Japanese traditional drums, and go to some fashionable cafes or restaurants. I also love listening to foreign songs and singing them at karaoke. I don't know, whether there is any karaoke in Canada, but it's where we sing a popular song while a karaoke machine plays the music to the song without the words. I often sing Ke$ha, Rihanna and Maroon5' s songs. I work part-time as a waitress at a steak restaurant and as a cook at a dining restaurant. Although the cuisine is expensive, it's so yummy. I really enjoy working! I live with my mother and I have my grandparents and my great grandmother. All of them always helps me as much as they can.

I have a few questions for you. I know there are five members  in your family: Ann is the grandmother, Sara is the mother, Adam is the father, Patty is the daughter and Reed is the son. When I first saw your pictures, I felt relieved because all of you looked so kind. I'd like to know what your hobbies are, can you share them with me? What is it like where you live? What's your favorite food and what do you often eat at home? Where do you go in your holidays? What image do you have of Japan? What do you do? If you have any questions about me, please feel free to ask.

When I was a high school student, there was an exchange student from Canada. At first, she didn't know anything about Japan and she went through many hardships to get along with Japanese students. However, she told us about a variety of Canadian cultural information and she also studied Japanese hard to fit in with us. I was really impressed by her modest attitude and thus I wondered if I go to Canada. About a half year later, I found a scholarship to go to Prince Edward Island in Canada to study English. I wrote an essay in English to get it. Although it was really hard because anybody in Japan had a qualification for joining the program, I won it. It was a nice place and people were very kind. Have you ever been there? After coming back to Japan, I felt I'd like to go to Canada again, and now, my dream will come true soon. I can't wait to go and meet you.
I'd like you to write back to me if you have time. I'm looking forward to my stay.

Sincerely,
Ruka
[512 words] 

8 comments:

  1. It's a great experience in your high school!!
    What would you like to do in Toronto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing me a comment, Kurea! I really like eating, so I'd like to eat Canadian foods and take many pictures.

      Delete
  2. Its very nice Essay of you! I like basketball too. When it is possible would you like to move to Canada or any other country in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my essay, Hayato! Do you like to play basketball or watch its games? I don't like to move there or any other countries but I'd like to visit and study abroad in university.

      Delete
  3. I felt you have strong feelings like to go to Canada. I also would go Canada.
    Do you still contact with Canadian friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thanks for your comments, Sakiko! Where in Canada would you like to go ? I keep in touch with them on facebook but sometimes.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading your essay!!!
    What do you want to do there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my essay, Yuria! I'd like to know more about Canadian culture and eat Canadian foods. Which country would you like to go to most?

      Delete